Five Things About Being Vegan

What comes to mind, when you hear the word "vegan"? For many people began, means "healthy", for others it means "aggressive maniacs". I won't be writing if it is healthy or not, don't worry  Today I am going to try explaining, what does that word mean to me - what I like and what I don't by that vegan movement.

First let's explain this word for the people, who have no idea what is it. It is simple - you don't eat animals and animal products, like milk, cheese, eggs, gelatin and so on... (I've always wondered if honey is a part of the vegan diet, I mean... bees make it and they're a kind of living creature, aren't they). I was vegans for an year, than I just decided that I need some pizza, and two weeks ago, I decided for health reasons to go back to that diet. 

So, let's start with my pros and cons about veganism:

1. Replacements


One of my favorite stuff when buying groceries us the vegan stand. I stay there and admire the creativity of the human race. There you have steaks, burgers, sausages, cheese, milk... but all of them are made from soya, or nuts, rice, beans among other things. I mean... That's confusing! Why are you vegan, since you like milk and meat so much?!? If I am going to eat meat, I am going to buy some awesome beef burger, not soya steak. If I want to eat pasta, I'll just put some awesome hard cheese on it, not something made from nuts with paprika and some other witchcraft in it... Don't get me wrong, but it's kind of strange to stop meat, because you find it barbaric, but to make something that looks and tastes(almost) like meat afterward. I've actually tried most of those products, they're not bad, but I feel, like I am lying to myself. I eat all of these, because they're fun, I don't hate them in any case. I mean, the idea of a vegan cheesecake is ridiculously cool.

2. Summer


Summer is a hot time. Not really the time for tacos, kebab and pizza. One needs something fresher to eat. I usually eat mainly plants the whole summer.  Something like - smoothie in the morning, some salad or something similar for lunch and for dinner some vegan cookies or a tortilla chips with salza dip. They're both good snack when you're watching a movie. When you think about it even popcorn is vegan(if it's not butter popcorn), but it is not the best thing for your health. I encourage everyone to try one vegan week every summer. The hot months are the easiest time to be vegan. Try it, it won't hurt you.

3. Aggression


"The biggest problem with vegans is how aggressive they may get." Is that what you expect to read here? Well, bad news... I'm not saying that. There are three big groups of aggressive people: aggressive vegans aggressive vegetarians and aggressive meat-eaters. Yeah, you read that right. A lot of us are very aggressive when it comes to diet. The aggressive vegetarians are looking down on the meat-eaters, because they "don't have the willpower", and on the vegans, because they're too stiff: "Hey, man, chill, what's wrong with drinking milk?". On the other side, there are the aggressive meat-eaters. You can't imagine how many times I've heard the question: "And how do you get the important nutrients that only meat has?". Well, guess what, not only meat has protein and B12. There are plants who have them too. And here we get to the most common hateful group: the infamous aggressive vegans! They see the meat-eaters as barbarians("Would you eat that if they made you kill it yourself?"), and vegetarians as week-willed healthy-wannabes. It may sound funny put that way, but it is actually kind of sad. I don't think that food should be a reason for fights and aggression, but we live in a society of hate, and people hate each other for every reason they can think of.

4. Weight-control


We all think that when one becomes vegan they'll lose weight. That. Is. A. Lie. I know so much people who actually gained weight after becoming vegan. So people, who may think on becoming vegan, again bad news: Being vegan doesn't guarantee weight-loss. It is actually not so much what do we eat, but when, how - and most importantly - how much. You can eat meat every day, but in very moderate portions, not too much fat, with a lot of salad full of fiber as a side dish and look and feel ten times better than a vegan, who eats peanut butter for breakfast, tofu steak for lunch with a little leaf of green salad and a kilo of rice crackers for dinner. "So, vegan does not necessarily mean healthy? Are you sure?" Just a question: has someone else noticed, that Red Bull, has a vegan-stamp on the back of the can?

5. Instagram


Here comes the best part of being vegan: awesome Instagram material. Every time you eat you can take a picture of what you're eating, upload it and easily get a lot of likes and respect from people. There are so many profiles on Instagram with an enormous base of followers, concentrating exactly on vegan lifestyle, that one could think that veganism is some crazy religion, worshipping broccoli.
So, to sum it up: being vegan is okay, as it is to eat meat; replacements are cool, but strange; it's not about what, but how, when and how much you eat; if you run out of material for your Instagram profile- go vegan. 

P.S. If you like my blog check out the other stuff I have and my social media



Comments

  1. Excellent article. I was a vegan for about a year and lost over 90 pounds on a vegan diet. I ate in moderation though, generally avoided junk food and exercised regularily.

    You are so right that you can be a vegan and be eating a very unhealthy diet.

    I never ate the meat replacement products that often myself when I was vegan. Did most of my cooking from scratch.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Facebook

Koko's Ramblings On Facebook

Popular Posts